Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions
The following terms and conditions represent the basis upon which I (the owner of South Downs Driving School) offer driving lessons and courses to you (the student).
I will be courteous, polite, tidy and punctual. I will behave in a professional and ethical manner at all times. My training car will be well maintained, clean and tidy (weather permitting). My car is fitted with dual controls and is fully insured for driving tuition purposes. I will not smoke in the training car at anytime, nor will I use your lesson time for any other form of business, personal or otherwise without your expressed permission.
I am legally authorised to give driving tuition in the UK by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
Driving Licence and Eyesight
As required by law, you must hold a current, valid driving licence (provisional or full), which must be produced on or in advance of your first driving lesson. You must also check you can read a number plate at a distance of 20.5 metres (i.e. 67 feet - about 5 car lengths) with prescribed visual aids (i.e. contact lenses or glasses) if normally worn. Please note if you need contact lenses or glasses to achieve this, you must make sure you wear them on each and every driving lesson.
Safety, comfort and well being
Safety is a shared responsibility as identified below:
- In the interests of comfort and safety you are advised to wear suitable footwear and clothing.
- It is important you act responsibly at all times and give your undivided attention to the driving task at hand. Should anything be distracting you during your lesson it is important you make me aware of this fact even if it is something I am doing. Similarly if you are feeling uncomfortable or uneasy about any driving task please let me know. I will be grateful for your feedback and I will think no less of you for doing this.
- In an emergency situation it is important you follow my instructions and allow me to take control of the steering wheel if necessary to avoid an incident. I may also need to make use of the dual controls (i.e. brake and or clutch pedals) and thus override your use of them. As soon as it is safe to do so I will advise you of why my actions were necessary and help you to calm down if required. Any subsequent discussion will focus on what can be learnt rather than who was to blame.
- I will do my best to deliver any instructions or take any actions (even in an emergency) in a calm and measured manner so as not to alarm you or make you feel uncomfortable or disheartened in any way. I will definitely not shout at you or make any sarcastic or derogatory remarks.
- You can be assured I will not use improper language or suggestive behaviour and/or physical contact.
- You must take note of any medication you are taking which may affect your ability to drive safely and advise me accordingly before taking any lesson booked. Similarly, you should inform me of anything you feel might impact on your ability to undertake the proposed lesson safely.
- In the event it becomes apparent you are unable to concentrate due to illness, tiredness, or your emotional state of mind I reserve the right to terminate the lesson early or require your agreement to choose an alternative learning activity which can still be undertaken safely.
Driving under the influence
To ensure the safety of you and other road users I reserve the right to cancel any lesson if you are or if I suspect you are under the influence of drugs, legal highs and/or alcohol (prescribed or otherwise). If this occurs the full training fee for the period in question will be forfeited..
Should you wish to postpone or cancel a lesson, I require a minimum of 48 hours notice. Failure to give this will result in the lesson fee forfeited. I reserve the right to postpone lessons if I consider the weather or road conditions to be unsuitable or dangerous.
In your own interests you are advised to be punctual for your lesson appointments. I would normally wait for you for a maximum of 15 minutes before the lesson would be abandoned and the lesson fee forfeited. A reciprocal waiting time may become necessary if I am delayed due to unforeseen circumstances. I will make up any lesson time lost as a result of this at the end of the normal lesson time or as soon as possible.
- You are required to make payment for the course or the driving lessons in advance of the training. A 50% deposit or the full course fee (if the lesson start date is within 4 weeks of the booking date) is required.
- The deposit or any subsequent training fees paid are not refundable in the event you decide to cancel the training once the booking has been accepted by me and placed in my diary. At this point a binding agreement is made between yourself and me. This does not in any way affect your statutory rights to be provided with the goods and services you have bought.
- Payment of your invoice assumes your agreement to these Terms and Conditions
The Driving Test
- Bookings - Driving tests should be booked by South Downs Driving School to ensure instructor availability, unless you wish to use your own vehicle and do not require a pre-test lesson. Driving test bookings always take priority over other lessons. Therefore, your lesson may be postponed to allow for another students driving test and vice-versa. Changes to lesson bookings as a result of this will be notified immediately.
- Use of the vehicle - In the interests of customer and public safety, I reserve the right to withhold the use of the training car for the test if, in my opinion, your driving is actually or potentially dangerous - behaviour which, if repeated on the test would result in a test failure.
- Test cancellation - Three clear working days (Sundays and public holidays don't count as working days) notice of test cancellation or postponement is required by the DVSA. Therefore, to cancel a test booked for a Friday it will need to be done no later than the preceding Monday thus giving three clear working days (i.e. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday). Failure to provide the required notice will result in the loss of your test fee. I cannot be held responsible for any postponement or cancellation of tests by you or the DVSA. However, I will help to arrange another test as quickly as possible and to reclaim expenses from the DVSA if appropriate.
- Fee to use training car for you driving test - A fee of £65 is required when using the instructor car for the test. This includes pick up from home, pre-test lesson, the test and transport home. Please note this is in ADDITION to the £62 examination fee.
- Driving Offences - Any driving offences incurred during the practical driving test are the sole responsibility of the driver. These may include but are not exclusive to speeding and parking offences.
In the event of a complaint please provide details in writing either via post or email. Any complaint will be treated as a priority and with the aim of it being mutually resolved quickly.
Your statutory rights
Nothing in these terms and conditions will reduce your statutory rights relating to faulty goods or services provided. I have a statutory obligation to provide you with goods and services for the purpose for which they were bought and as described. If you have any doubts about your statutory rights please contact your local Trading Standards Department or Citizens Advice Bureau.